[systemd-devel] new user/group population on bootup

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Jun 13 06:37:37 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014, at 05:36 AM, Colin Walters wrote:

> My high level takeaway right now is that this looks OK for nspawn
> containers, but it's not clear to me it's viable or right for the host
> OS, at least for general purpose systems.

That was wrongly stated - basically I'm just skeptical of seeing an
empty /etc on general purpose systems in the next few years, at least
without lots of non-upstream patches and hacks.  A good example is this:
https://github.com/coreos/baselayout/commit/98c6211c45c8c53d84df1657776314cc5f5f9ec1

The other stuff like update-done.service looks useful, though lately
I've been thinking that we should try to do as much as possible before
reboot as well - stuff like journalctl --update-catalog already supports
--root, which will work for OSTree because it has a separate root.