[systemd-devel] Slow startup of systemd-journal on BTRFS

Goffredo Baroncelli kreijack at libero.it
Sat Jun 14 07:45:50 PDT 2014

On 06/14/2014 04:03 PM, Kai Krakow wrote:
> Goffredo Baroncelli <kreijack at libero.it> schrieb:
>
>> On 06/14/2014 12:59 PM, Kai Krakow wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> I think that systemd is even one of the early supporters of btrfs because
>>> it will defragment readahead files on boot from btrfs.
>>
>> In know that systemd does readahead, but it is the first time that I heard
>> that it does defrag too. Could you elaborate ?
>
> Look at src/readahead/readahead-collect.c. It works for btrfs and ext4. With
> ext4 it will also relocate the files. Not sure if it does for btrfs.

I am looking at the source, and yes, it does. To be honest it seems to defragment only on btrfs.

> If it
> does, the question is: where to relocate in a multi devices file system?

Systemd uses the defrag capability of btrfs.

> That means, you have to enable systemd-readahead-collect, tho.
I have to admit that I disabled it. I will make some test also with readhead enabled.

--
gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli (kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5