[systemd-devel] Slow startup of systemd-journal on BTRFS

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jun 17 01:17:08 PDT 2014

Lennart Poettering posted on Mon, 16 Jun 2014 00:43:34 +0200 as excerpted:

>> > At least here, I interpreted that remark as primarily sarcastic
>> > commentary on the systemd devs' apparent attitude, which can be
>> > (controversially) summarized as: "Systemd doesn't have problems
>> > because it's perfect.  Therefore, any problems you have with systemd
>> > must instead be with other components which systemd depends on."
>>
>> Come on, sorry, but this is fud. Really... ;-)
>
> Interestingly, I never commented on anything in this area, and neither
> did anybody else from the systemd side afaics. THe entire btrfs defrag
> thing i wasn't aware of before this thread started on the system ML a
> few days ago. I am not sure where you take your ideas about our
> "attitude" from. God, with behaviour like that you just make us ignore
> you, Duncan.

Sorry.

As you'll note, I said "can be "controversially"...

I never stated that *I* held that position personally, as I was taking
the third-person observer position.  As such, I've seen that attitude
expressed by others in multiple threads when systemd comes up (as Josef
alluded to as well), and that I simply interpreted the remark to which I
was alluding ("And that's now a btrfs problem.... :/") as a sarcastic
reference to that attitude... which again I never claimed as my own.

Thus the "whoosh", in reference to what I interpreted as sarcasm, which
certainly doesn't require fully agreement with in ordered to understand.
(Tho as I mentioned elsewhere, I can certainly see where they're coming
from given the recent kernel debug kerfuffle and the like... and I'm
certainly not alone there... but I'm /trying/ to steer a reasonably
neutral path while appreciating both sides.)

In fact, I specifically stated elsewhere that in fact I recently switched
to systemd -- by choice as I'm on gentoo which still defaults to openrc
-- myself.  Certainly I would not have done so if I believed systemd was
as bad as all that, and the fact that I HAVE done so definitely implies a
rather large amount of both trust and respect in the systemd devs, or I'd
not be willing to run their code.

But never-the-less I can see the viewpoint from both sides now, and do
try to maintain a reasonable neutrality.  I guess I should have made that
more explicit in the original post, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20.
=:^\