[systemd-devel] SIT tunnel does not work

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Sat Jun 21 02:17:39 PDT 2014

Hi,

  I've tried to establish SIT tunnel to Hurricane Electric, using systemd v214.
It does not work, device do not appear.  I'm concerned about networkd discarding
part of netlink messages, see below.  Original instruction is provided by HE,
rest is my shot at translating it into netdev (nb. manpage wasn't updated when
tunnel features went in).

Original instruction:
---------------------
modprobe ipv6
ip tunnel add he-ipv6 mode sit remote 216.66.80.162 local 109.107.25.67 ttl 255
ip link set he-ipv6 up
ip addr add 2001:470:70:68d::2/64 dev he-ipv6
ip route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6
ip -f inet6 addr

$ cat he.netdev
---------------
[NetDev]
Name=he
Kind=sit

[Tunnel]
Local=109.107.25.67
Remote=216.66.80.162

$ cat he.network
----------------
[Match]
Name=he

[Network]
Tunnel=he
Address=2001:470:70:68d::2/64

$ SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd
timestamp of '/etc/systemd/network' changed
         he: loaded sit
sd-rtnl: discarding 20 bytes of incoming message
could not add new link
could not add new link
            eth1: link 3 added
            eth1: udev initialized link
            eth1: unmanaged
            eth1: flags change: +UP +LOWER_UP +RUNNING +MULTICAST +BROADCAST
…

--
Tomasz Torcz               "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray