[systemd-devel] Systemd stops

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 24 01:01:45 PDT 2014

Hi,

'Twas brillig, and Jay D Bhatt at 24/06/14 07:50 did gyre and gimble:
> I am using ttymxc3 as I have LVDS with the board, so, I think tty1
> should not conflict as I will be using console=ttymxc3?

I'm not sure that console= affects actual login getty's. Unless there is
some new generator that always starts a getty on the kernel console=
argument, I believe you have to configure that manually, i.e. you will
need to create a symlink in
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/getty at ttymxc3.service which
points to the getty template unit
/usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service. The name of this symlink tells
getty at .service on which tty to actually spawn itself.

> Also, I think there is some problem with systemd-logind.service it
> doesn't ask for login or password nor does it display the shell
> prompt, because after starting Login Services, it stops, so after
> some what debugging, I think login.service file has some problems.

I think you are perhaps misunderstanding what logind does. It is NOT
responsible for showing login prompts and dealing with user input. It is
a daemon that sits in the background and tracks user sessions. You still
need to launch an actual getty instance which asks for username+password
and authenticates against your system.

> Can you let me know what lines should be added to
> systemd-logind.service, so it will ask login and password or at the
> least will display the shell prompt directly?

.snip.

None, as mentioned above, it's not the thing that asks for login+pass,
so no lines can help!

I suggest you try with the symlink I mentioned at the beginning of this
email. This is the (possibly) missing bit of configuration that should
then spawn a getty which actually asks for login+pass.

> Current service file has some things as below:

Yes that's all as expected (although I'm kinda surprised it says wanted
by graphical.target, but that's likely just a cosmetic thing to try and
make sure it's already started when the login manager starts, which will
trigger it starting anyway).

Anyway

--

Colin Guthrie