[systemd-devel] possible to run systemd-nspawn in a nested Xorg server?

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 10:18:18 PDT 2014

Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> schrieb:

>> I wonder if it is possible to spawn systemd nspawn containers in a way
>> that the login manager and GUI start up in a nested Xorg server so that I
>> can run the container system in a window. I don't need the boot process
>> in that window, just Xorg, when started, should open a nested Xorg window
>> in my host system.
>
> Well, a container in many regards is just a networked host like any
> other. Depending on your login manager you can totally use it to manage
> remote displays. And yes, one of those remote machines might by an xnest
> running on your host.

I just hoped there was already some standard way to do it. I will figure it
out on my own then and report back. No problem. ;-)

> How to set that up is probably something to discuss with the login
> manager guys though...

I'm currently a little bit confused what you mean by login manager... If you
mean something like lightdm: I'm using that. But I don't want to switch back
to my login manager to open a remote session into the container. I just want
to run it from CLI from within my KDE session.

If you mean systemd-logind - I think that is running for me. But I'm pretty
sure that is not what you mean.

--
Replies to list only preferred.