[systemd-devel] regression in a4a878d0 (units: introduce network-pre.target...)

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Jun 30 08:09:36 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 28.06.14 01:36, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi (vmlinuz386 at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Looks like this commit also changes a unrelated file
>> (units/local-fs.target) reverting the commit 40f862e3 (filesystem
>> targets: disable default dependencies)
>>
>> The side effect, at least in my case is that the "nofail" option in both
>> "crypttab" and "fstab" has partial effect does the default timeout
>> instead of continue normal boot without timeout.
>
> Not following here. Any idea why that commit should have resulted in
> this?
>
> (And before we revert these things, can we please try to figure out what
> really is happening here? Don't grok this at all...)

Hm, I see why you don't like this.

To take it from the beginning: nofail translates to "not Before=" and
noauto translates to "not Wants=". If we use default dependencies on
both the target and the mount, then auto implies fail, which is no
good as they should be independent.

The reason we didn't just disable default depedencies for the affected
mount units is that we would really like all the other default
dependencies to apply, and we would not like to repeat this logic in
all the generators (but rather rely on core sorting this all out). The
hack that we ended up with is to disable the default deps on the mount
targets.

On further consideration, perhaps the better solution would have been
to simply not make the Wants implies Before be a default depenedency
for mount units?

Cheers,

Tom