[systemd-devel] networkd -- net.ipv4.ip_dynaddr requirement?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 09:14:04 PDT 2014

I noticed commit 68ceb9df6a39a7 says:

    sd-dhcp-client/networkd: set lifetimes for IPv4 addresses

    Note that /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr needs to be non-zero.

If I understand it correctly, the commit makes it so that IPv4 address
lifetimes from DHCP show up as "valid_lft X preferred_lft Y" in `ip
addr`.

If that's the case, why the sysctl requirement, if the same
information already shows up in `ip -4 addr` when set by
NetworkManager, even though the sysctl has always been zero on my
system?

Also: I tried searching ~/src/linux/Documentation for ip_dynaddr, and
it seems to be talking about IP address rewriting or masquerading,
*not* lifetimes/expiry? Confused.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>