[systemd-devel] networkd config for dummy0 interface

Matthias Schiffer mschiffer at universe-factory.net
Mon Jun 30 14:47:29 PDT 2014

On 06/24/2014 12:25 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov <v.tolstov at selfip.ru> wrote:
>> Hi. I have very strange task:
>
> Not tested, but I would start with trying:
>
>> 1) Nedd modprobe dummy
>
> Use modules-load.d
>
>> 2) Assign specific mac address to it
>
> Possibly use .link files, or check if it is possible to spcify this as
> module options (didn't check).
>
>> 3) Bring up it
>> 4) Assign specific address to it
>
> Use a regular .network file... Should wokr.
>
> HTH,
>
> Tom

I'm not sure if this has changed recently, but I think it is not
possible to use .link files to configure virtual network devices as
there is _nothing_ to match on.

As I mentioned in another discussion (regarding bridge MAC addresses),
I've added the following udev rule as a workaround, which allows
matching for virtual device names using the Path= match (I need this for
a batman-adv device, I guess there are tons of other device types which
are similar):

ENV{DEVPATH}=="/devices/virtual/net/*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="",
ENV{ID_PATH}="virtual-$kernel"

I think we really need a name match for virtual devices which have
neither a persistent MAC address nor a device path to match on in .link
units. It might be called VirtualName= and only work for devices that
don't have a path so people don't try to use it when a Path= match would
be more appropriate...