[systemd-devel] mount units and symlinks

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 30 15:39:22 PDT 2014

On Tue, 01.07.14 00:27, Marco d'Itri (md at Linux.IT) wrote:

> On Jun 30, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>
> > BTW, I have now prepped a man page that codifies the assumptions and
> > suggestions systemd makes on the file system hierarchy:
> >
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/file-hierarchy.html
> The other major issue that I can see is that in Debian we have already
> tried to make /tmp a tmpfs and this caused enough problems that we had
> to revert the default.
> So if you feel really strongly about /tmp being only for small files
> then we will have to patch the man page in some way to make it reflect
> the actual usage.

Well, Fedora has been using tmpfs of /tmp for quite a while now, by
default. There have been problems, but they got fixed.

The intention of the document is to describe what assumptions people
should make about the specific directories, not what they actually are
going to be like. /tmp may be on physical disk, but tmpfs is common, and
hence the assumption should be that large files should not be placed
there, since tmpfs in this regard is the more limiting backing store.