[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] Discoverable Partitions Spec

Goffredo Baroncelli kreijack at libero.it
Mon Mar 10 11:34:03 PDT 2014

> Heya!
>
> Since yesterday systemd in git can now discover root, /home, /srv and
> swap partitions automatically based on GPT type GUIDs, thus making
> /etc/fstab unnecessary for simple setups.
>
> I have now put together something like a spec describing the logic
> behind that, and what it is good for:

> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/

Form the FAQ:
<CITE>
[...] What about automatic mounting of btrfs subvolumes to /var, /home and so on?

Doing a similar automatic discovery of btrfs subvolumes and mounting them automatically to the appropriate places is certainly desirable. We are waiting for the btrfs designers to add a per-subvolume type UUID to their disk format to make this possible. [...]
</CITE>

Instead of relying on the subvolume UUID, why not relying to the subvolume name: it would be more simple and flexible to manage them.

For example supposing to use '@' as prefix for a subvolume name:

@ 	-> root filesystem
@etc	-> etc
@home 	-> home
[...]

If you want multiple OS on the same filesystem we can use the following convention

@home		-> home of all the systems
@srv		-> srv  of all the systems
@fedora_	-> root of a fedora system
@fedora_etc	-> etc of the fedora system
@fedora2_	-> root of a fedora2 system
@fedora2_etc	-> etc of the fedora2 system

Or in another way we could group the different systems in subdirectories:

--
gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli (kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5