[systemd-devel] unable to bring an interface UP with systemd-networkd

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 10:42:23 PDT 2014

Hi,

I run a dahlia container on a hortensia machine. Both are Arch boxes,
and container is managed with nspawn and networkd.

When I boot the hortensia machine, part of the ip addr output is :

gabx at hortensia ➤➤ ~ % ip addr
4: vb-dahlia: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop master br0
state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 6a:91:b5:72:db:c5 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

gab at dahlia ➤➤ ~ % ip addr
2: host0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,ALLMULTI,AUTOMEDIA,UP> mtu
1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 7e:3a:5a:93:ab:ee brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.94/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global host0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

I have to manually
gabx at hortensia ➤➤ ~ # ip link set dev vb-dahlia up
to get network up in container.

Here are my network config files on hortensia:

/etc/systemd/dahlia.netdev
[Match]
Virtualization=container

[NetDev]
Name=vb-dahlia
Kind=bridge

/etc/systemd/80-container-host0.network
[Match]
Virtualization=container
Name=host0

[Network]
DHCP=no
DNS=192.168.1.254
Bridge=br0

[Address]
Address=192.168.1.94/24

[Route]
Gateway=192.168.1.254

Ethernet and bridge are both started with netctl profiles. eth has no
IP and bridge br0 binds (enp7s0 vb-dahlia).
No network settings inside the container, and systemd-networkd disabled.

I have tried many various configurations, but the vb-dahlia interface
is always DOWN .

What am I missing or misconfiguring ?

Thank you for help