[systemd-devel] systemd-networkd bridge with DHCP not working

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Mar 21 14:15:04 PDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Henrik /KaarPoSoft
<henrik at kaarposoft.dk> wrote:
> THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
>
> Yes, it works now for me.
>
> Logs attached.

Awesome, thank's for testing!

> I was busy with something else, so only watched the list and git with half
> an eye.
> However, I find it disturbing that DHCP is attempted first on the "wrong"
> MAC, only to be killed and restarted on the "right" MAC.
> Is this really the best way of solving this ???

Well, I couldn't come up with anything better at the moment. But
suggestions welcome of course.

What we should keep in mind here though is that we never know when all
the device that should be enslaved by a bridge have appeared, so we
never know when the bridge has received its final mac address.
Moreover, if devices are removed from the bridge, the mac address may
change again, so we anyway need to be able to handle this case.

What we could do is to force the mac address when creating the bridge
to one we invent ourselves, which (if I read the kernel code
correctly) should then become permanent. However, we still need to
deal with the address changing if the bridge was not created by us.
And if people are actually relying on the kernel's logic of using one
of the slave macs as the bridge mac that would obviously break...

-t