[systemd-devel] sudo -u app_user systemctl --user

David Schmitt david at dasz.at
Tue Mar 25 01:42:39 PDT 2014

On 24.03.2014 20:27, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 20.03.14 12:43, David Schmitt (david at dasz.at) wrote:
>
> The systemd --user stuff is not complete yet, and will likely be
> complete only when kdbus support is completed too.
>
> Note that systemd --user is only for real login users though, and the
> systemd instance is a singleton that is refcounted by all active
> sessions of its user. It isn't really something you want to make use for
> servers hence really. (or at least, it's not designed for that...)

Well, it works out quite well for my use-case, except for this
interesting nit with not being able to enter the session with sudo.

Tangentially this also raises the question whether I'm the only one who
wants to have a unprivileged systemd instances for users and if not,
what are they doing? Namespaces and booting a full systemd instance in a
container?

If that is a better supported way of achieving my goal of giving a set
of users the power to manage their own services...

Regards, David