[systemd-devel] failed to store sound card state

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Mar 28 04:33:24 PDT 2014

'Twas brillig, and Koen Kooi at 28/03/14 08:45 did gyre and gimble:

> Op 28 mrt. 2014, om 01:46 heeft Cristian Rodríguez
> <crrodriguez at opensuse.org> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> El 27/03/14 20:21, Felix Miata escribió:
>>> I see this repeated often during reboot attempts that do not
>>> proceed as expected to swiftly do the deed. It seems to be
>>> prerequisite to shutdown/reboot. I can't recall ever seeing
>>> anything like it when sysvinit was employed. Why does rebooting
>>> require the storing of a sound card state, particularly when
>>> there are no connected speakers and no sound system has been
>>> employed the entire time since booting (typical of multiuser
>>> rather than graphical startup, 3 on Grub cmdline)?
>>
>> Hey! :-)
>>
>> This is not a systemd issue.. but an implementation detail of the
>> alsa units instead.
>>
>> rpm -qf /usr/lib/systemd/system/alsa*.service | uniq
>> alsa-utils-1.0.27.2-4.2.1.x86_64
>
> I filed a bug for that 2.5 years ago:
> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=5459 (server
> is down right now). I also created a patch to fix it on startup:
> http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/12965/ Extending that to the
> shutdown unit should be straightforward.

That doesn't seem like the correct behaviour.

I thought it was the job of "alsactl restore" to initialise the device
to sensible values in the absence of asound.state. There is an internal
database inside alsa to do this and relatively generic code for HDA
hardware IIRC.

This is what the -I or --no-init-fallback option is for:

  -I,--no-init-fallback
                   don't initialize even if restore fails

Col

--