[systemd-devel] endless wait for job to mount /sysroot

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun May 11 12:31:47 PDT 2014

Fedora Rawhide (systemd-212) vs Fedora 20 (systemd-209) and a Btrfs degraded boot.

With Fedora 20, at basic.target, I get the cylon eye "A start job is runing for dev-disk-by….." which eventually fails and I get a dracut prompt, and a note about the sos report. Great. That's what I need to find out why rootflags=degrade is apparently not working.

With Fedora Rawhide however, at basic target, I get the cylon eye and it never ends. I get a repeat of these lines:

[    **] A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2uuid-7b742…55s / no limit)G
ot notification message of runit systemd-journald.service
systemd-journald.service: Got notification message from PID 105 (WATCHDOG=1…)
systemd-journald.service: got WATCHDOG=1

Still repeats these lines after 20 minutes. So I reattached the missing device so I can boot, and ran:

systemctl enable debug-shell.service

disconnected the device again and rebooted. Yet ctrl-alt-f9 does not work at this same point (I have one shell only) so I still can't get to a shell, but what I'd rather have is the sos report.

Ideas why this behavior is different with Rawhide and F20, seems like a bug to me if we can't mount /sysroot after 20 minutes there needs to be a fail, not a cylon eye for forever.

Chris Murphy