[systemd-devel] Udev rules hardware database

Patrick Häcker pat_h at web.de
Sun Nov 9 13:39:03 PST 2014

> > IIRC there used to be a kernel bug that caused autosuspend
> > to mostly not work on Linux, which they however blamed on crappy
> > devices for a long time. After that kernel bug got fixed I think
> > autosuspend works on most devices now, hence we only need a blacklist?
> >
> > I figure Greg has all the details on this, let's ask him (added to CC):
> >
> > Greg, say something! Is the autosuspend stuff something we can enable
> > safely on most devices now? Do we need a blacklist? Or should we even
> > go for a whitelist?
>
> I really don't know.  Some other operating system relies on a whitelist
> due to all of the horrible devices out there that can't handle suspend
> (keyboards and mice are notorious for being bad.)

Thanks for your input. Do you know in which kernel version the above
mentioned bug got fixed?
I just checked two mice, a keyboard and a bunch of internal devices with a
3.17 kernel. Only one of the mice works completely reliable with activated
power saving as input device – no problems with the internal devices. The
funny thing is: That mouse is built from the same company as some other
operating system – dog feeding does make sense.

> You might want to ask one of the distro people to see if they have ever
> turned it on "by default" and what happened if they tried that.
Unfortunately, I do not know anyone from a distribution who is in charge for
that area. Do you? A short Google search didn't bring up any distribution
which did that, but my search was probably incomplete.
But if my results mentioned above should be remotely representative, that
might be disastrous, because for an average user it might be close to
impossible to deactivate power savings without working input devices.

Kind regards
Patrick