[systemd-devel] systemd DBus services exit when they have clients

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Nov 14 08:52:26 PST 2014

On Fri, 14.11.14 16:46, Stef Walter (stefw at redhat.com) wrote:

> > If you use proxies like that you should simply make sure they are
> > not invalidated when the service goes away.
> >
> > The services like hostnamed explicitly provide stable object paths
> > and suchlike so that clients can completely ignore when the
> > services go away and come back...
>
> Most DBus services are not like that, and usually callers do need to
> be aware of a service that goes away.
>
> But I guess we could provide an option that instructs the proxy to
> ignore a service's absence for use with systemd and any other
> stateless services like this.

Yes, traditionally it was difficult to write services that can
exit-on-idle without races. However, the mini-services like
hostnamed/localed/... really are of the kind that should go away when
unused.

Having a proxy concept that optionally ingores services going
away/coming back sounds definitely like the way to go!