[systemd-devel] [feature request] allow instances in file.preset

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 2 07:07:03 PDT 2014

On Thu, 25.09.14 19:45, Damien Robert (damien.olivier.robert+gmane at gmail.com) wrote:

> I really like the new preset directive, and I plan to use preset files
> to synchronise the services I launch at boot across my computers.
>
> However it is a bit cumbersome that preset files do not parse instanced
> services files. I could play with DefaultInstance in foobar at .service.d/
> droplets

This wouldn't actually work as [Install] cannot be extended with .d/
drop-ins. Only the other sections can be.

> and add foobar at .service in the preset file (this works); but this
> only allow to configure one instance.

How precisely would you envision this to work? I mean, so far
"systemctl preset foo at bar.service" will precisely enable
"foo at bar.service", but you are expecting that "systemctl preset
foo at .service" would somehow result in enablement of foo at bar.service or
so? How would we even denote that in the rules files?