[systemd-devel] On /dev/disk/by-id/ata-...-part2 missing, again

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:35:25 PDT 2014

27.10.2014 22:28, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 27.10.14 22:22, Alexander E. Patrakov (patrakov at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the pointer. It is good to know that the information is available
>> in the kernel.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it is not possible to run the lslocks program manually or see
>> the contents of /proc/locks exactly at the moment when some stupid program
>> decides to lock the device. Especially since this does not happen at every
>> boot.
>>
>> I think that printing the equivalent of the lslocks output directly from
>> udevd when failing to lock the device would be a useful debugging aid. Of
>> course, this feature request only applies when udev.log-priority=debug.
>
> Well, to my knowledge there is not efficient way to query this
> information, so we probably shouldn't do that.

That's why I suggested doing it only when debugging is enabled via the
kernel command line. Otherwise, all this is left is guessing and code
audits - which is worse than the inefficient search for the smoking gun :)

> If fsck is not the process that takes the locks, I bet LVM is. Are you
> using that? Consider turning it off.

On this machine, LVM is not actually used, but is pulled in as a
dependency of udisks-2.1.3. And that dependency is conditional, on the
"cryptsetup" USE flag that is also useless on this desktop. So I think I
can indeed remove the "lvm" binary from this desktop (but not from the
Sony laptop). Thanks again!

--
Alexander E. Patrakov