[systemd-devel] [RFC] runtime configurable timer

David Herrmann dh.herrmann at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 08:54:58 PDT 2014

Hi

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:45 AM, WaLyong Cho <walyong.cho at samsung.com> wrote:
> (I will happy there is already similar method already exist.)
>
> systemd already has similar functionality "systemd-run" but that is only
> for scope or service unit. I think that is useful run a service without
> unit file on permanent storage.
>
> As a similar method, is it possible to generate or configure timer unit
> on runtime?
>
> Honestly, now, I need a runtime configurable timer interface. If systemd
> has this then I can reduce one of daemon.

Something like at(1)? That is, executing a command at a later time?

Currently, timer units do not support transient units. So to implement
something like systemd-at, you'd first have to add support for that,
then you can make systemd-run do this. I don't think anyone has worked
on this so far.

Thanks
David