[systemd-devel] Prioritize the /etc configuration over /usr/lib also with .include

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Tue Sep 16 06:16:12 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 01:21:30PM +0200, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> consider the situation that admin has /etc/systemd/system/a.service, which
> includes via .include the /usr/lib/systemd/system/a.service.  Then in our
> case there exists also packaged /usr/lib/systemd/system/a.service.d/ with
> existing drop-in.  In this case - the setup from /etc/ is beaten by
> drop-in files from /usr/lib.  Reproducer is in Red Hat Bugzilla [1].
>
> I would expect that parser starts at /etc/systemd/*/*.service, which
> invokes the .include ~> so '/usr/lib/*/*.service is parsed, then
> '/usr/lib/*/*.service.d', then remaining part of '/etc/*/*.service is
> parsed and as the last step, the '/etc/*/*.service.d/' dropins should be
> done.
This would change the way that drop-ins work. Your model is not
necessarily worse, but dropins have been the advertised way to do
overiddes for a while, and we cannot simply revert the order in which
they are applied. At least not without a very good reason which would
make it worth to upset existing users.

Zbyszek