[systemd-devel] v216 timers: a configuration for enterprise's needs, features requests

Daniele Medri dmedri at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 09:31:16 PDT 2014

Dears,

testing timers on systemd v216, I've made a configuration that could be
useful for enterprise's needs:

https://github.com/dmedri/systemd-enterprise-timers

The following ideas could be useful for the editing job.

FEATURES REQUESTS

1. in /src/shared/calendarspec.c, calendar_spec_from_string(...), add new
cases for:
- "minutely" (OnCalendar=*:0/1:00)
- "quarterly" (OnCalendar=01,04,07,10-01)
- "semesterly" (OnCalendar=01,07-01)

2. add an utils to check OnCalendar= syntax.

What should expect an user from the utility of point 2.?
- print a list of timestamps from a syntax expression (like the "NEXT"
field in systemctl list-timers --all)
- introduce a human readable string for syntax expressions (eg. "hourly" ->
"Every hour.") that we could translate in different languages and share
with desktop applications (eg. for backup, to send email, ...).

Example output:

$ systemctl calendar-syntax 'hourly'

       Syntax: hourly
Normalized : *-*-* *:00:00