[systemd-devel] Systemd-nspawn -- Unable to initialize virtual ethernet connection

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Sep 19 14:04:40 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM, James Lott <james at lottspot.com> wrote:
> I am trying to setup and play around with some of the private networking
> features of systemd, and one of the big thinks I'm trying to get working is
> the virtual ethernet links. For some reason though, I am unable to start a
> containder using a virtual ethernet link. My attempt is included below.

This is a bug. Thanks for the report!

I now pushed a fix:
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=c00524c9cc7fb498c7244350e25823b8352f078c>.

The problem was that we were not correctly truncating the machine name
(by default taken from the folder name) when using it to create a veth
link. Until the fix lands in your distro, you can simply rename your
container instance to a shorter name using the "--machine" switch to
systemd-nspawn.

Cheers,

Tom