[systemd-devel] Implementing remote wake-up for Bluetooth

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Sat Sep 20 20:47:23 PDT 2014

Hi Bastien,

> I wanted to add a toggle box like the one MacOS X has had for a long
> while, allowing users to wake up their system using a Bluetooth
> keyboard.
>
> The procedure is here:
> https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8723au_bt/blob/master/readme.txt
>
> We could also always allow remote wake-up when a keyboard or joystick
> has been paired, I'm not too fussed.
>
> Ideas on how this should be implemented?

actually there is a bit more to do than just enabling USB remote wakeup. That is just the bare minimum we need to support.

On the Bluetooth side, we would actually have to change the HCI event mask to only produce certain events. Otherwise the controller (and with that the host) can wake up for all kinds of reasons. In addition, we would need to program the specific addresses that allow us to wake up. Otherwise anybody knowing your address can trick your system to wake up for no reason.

Besides BR/EDR mice and keyboards, we also have LE mice these days. They operate a little bit different and might need some extra magic to handle wake ups.

Regards

Marcel