[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Philippe De Swert philippedeswert at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 06:40:52 PDT 2014

Hi,

On 22/09/14 15:58, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> wow - in any other case the systemd developers saying that
>>> they don't workround things because problems has to be
>>> solved at the root-cause - practice what you preach and
>>> make the log-verbosility configureable!
>>
>> Serves no purpose whatsoever doing that.

Could you elaborate? As generating 80000 lines of log seems a bit
excessive (seems in one bug which is linked it is rather a
calculationg). I would definitly classify that as a bug. (It could for
example keep a cpu or system from sleeping, thus draining more power).

Anyway usually less debug is better as it is more obvious where a
problem might be imho. Of course it is always a question about finding a
balance.

>>> * rsyslog is *not* responsible for the message flood produced by systemd
>>
>> No but it is responsible for the filtering <-- of log messages.
>>>
>>> * systemd is the one producing it without prefixes
>
> it is ridiculous to have the need of filtering
>
>> This is simply untrue as "journalctl -o export" will show you.
>
> where is it in the message?
> the process is "systemd"

Instead of blaming someone for being incompetent you could just have
given the solution. Especially as you mentioned you knew something like
that might happen but blamed Red Hat for not implementing a potential
fix. Which you could have even documented and somebody could have found
googling for it. That would have saved time for everybody involved.

Although from what I know I rather agree there is a bug in systemd.

You also seem to forget systemd adds a lot of layers of complexity that
just did not exist with the old init. It makes it a lot harder to find
out what is going on (despite all the available documentation). So if
the prefix does not show in an obvious manner I could categorize that as
a bug too. In this case it might actually make sense to have a different
prefix as it will clearly indicate user vs system session.

Also despite the loglevels available in journald. It is unclear from the
documentation how the classification gets done
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/journald.conf.html

Maybe for our problem MaxLevelSyslog=err might work? But how do we know
it won't suppress certain messages we would like to see and actually
suppresses the one we don't want?

Regards,

Philippe