[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Sep 23 13:24:07 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Dale R. Worley <worley at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> OK, I'd like to modify systemd's handling of mounts.  I've been told
> only that the units that are created from /etc/fstab are created and
> handled by the main systemd binary.  What documentation do I look at
> that explains how systemd actually does that, what the relevant source
> is, etc.?  With init scripts, I know it's somewhere in a script in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d; searching for "mount" probably reveals a couple of
> hundred lines of shell script within which the functionality is
> hiding.

Try "systemctl status home.mount" (or some other mount unit generated
from your fstab), then there will be pointers to the relevant
documentation there ("Doc:"). To be dropped directly into the man
pages, just do "systemctl help home.mount".

> Another more generically useful pointer would be something that
> explains what the algorithm that does the sequencing between units
> *really* is.  I've heard breezy descriptions of what the various
> dependency types mean, but I'm certain that there's a bunch of tricky
> details which a lot of thought has been spent on.

I do not understand this question. Could you give an example of what
you are struggling with? I mean, the gist is that the After/Before
orderings are respected and everything else is done in parallel. To
get the precise orderings applied to a unit try "systemctl show
bar.service".

Cheers,

Tom