[systemd-devel] 2nd X session manager

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Sep 29 02:40:09 PDT 2014

David Herrmann wrote on 29/09/14 08:53:
> Hi
>
> (please put the mailing-list on CC; or use "Reply-All")
>
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Thomas Antony <thomas at antony.eu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> This depends on the session-manager you use.. but as a heads-up: most
>>> session-managers only allow a single instance per seat (which makes
>>> sense..).
>>

>> I have installed Gnome and gdm.
>>
>> I'm using the Gnome autologon feature and starting automatically an
>> application after logon which should not get closed.
>> So i thought i could start an additional X session manager on vt2 and logon
>> to this one with a different user.
>
> So how this should work is gdm start on VT1, the auto-login session on
> VT2 and if you want to login again, you switch to gdm and start a new
> login. I don't think you can run gdm multiple times, and I'm also not
> sure how to tell gdm to start new sessions on new VTs. Yeah, a lot of
> things I don't know.. but that's really questions you should ask Gnome
> and GDM people, not us. Sorry!

FWIW, from either the logged in session or it's lock screen (if the user
has locked it) just select the "Switch User" function (either in the
user menu in the top right if logged in, or the big button from the lock
screen). This will tell GDM to spawn a new login manager for you.

I asked a log time ago if we could have some kind of autospawning of a
gdm screen on tty2 as soon as you switch to it (much like getty will
autospawn). I don't think it would be too hard to glue that together
these days, but not sure anyone has done that.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie