[systemd-devel] Synchronization Between Services at Shutdown

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Apr 3 05:04:10 PDT 2015

On Thu, 02.04.15 16:28, Martin Pitt (martin.pitt at ubuntu.com) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering [2015-04-02 13:03 +0200]:
> > Yeah, and rightfully so. I mean, a service really should be able to
> > shutdown if dbus is dead. In fact, it should be able to shutdown in
> > pretty much any situation...
>
> They do, but that's irrelevant here. The problem is that dbus.service
> shuts down very early as nothing prevents it from that. All
> dependencies just refer to dbus.socket, but TBH socket (re-)activation
> totally doesn't work for dbus.

systemd will not reactivate services when shutting down, we refuse to
go in circles...

And even if it would reactivate dbus, it wouldn't help you, since all
services disappeared from the bus then...

> On restarts it forgets all of its
> previous state/connections, so a service which still needs to talk to
> dbus during shutdown will just fail if dbus.service already stopped.

Well, if that service is really this broken that it needs dbus when
all it should do is exit, then it should declare After=dbus.service,
and all is good.