[systemd-devel] Question about relationship between systemd v219 and kernel version.

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Apr 7 23:53:03 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 05:41:48PM -0700, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> On 6 April 2015 at 01:12, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 06.04.15 06:17, 임창근 (ck21.im at samsung.com) wrote:
> >
> >> Hello EveryOne.
> >>
> >> I wonder that If I use kernel v3.4 with systemd v219, systemd-run function is work or not.
> >> Because My target have kernel v3.4 and systemd v216.
> >
> > Please check the README shipped in the tarball, it always lists the
> > minimal kernel version systemd requires. For 219 the minimal kernel
> > version is 3.7.
> >

> I was meant to ask a while back, would it be possible to have degraded
> systemd for lower kernels? Quite a few current Android-like phones
> will be stuck on 3.4 forever, e.g. those that are shipping SailfishOS
> / Ubuntu for Phones / etc. Thus support for 3.4 is desirable to be
> maintained, because of the Android phones.

I'd recommend taking the time and effort to just forward port the kernel
for those devices, considering it's quite out of date and insecure
as-is.

Or do the work yourself to backport systemd (hint, it might be harder
than you think, which is why the dependancy is there...)

> At the moment this essentially blocks converting all Ubuntu flavours
> to systemd.

"all"?  Ubuntu ships newer kernels than 3.4, if not, please take it up
with that vendor, it's not the community's job to support obsolete,
years-old software that everyone has moved on from a long time ago for
very good reasons.

Remember, never ask a community member to support a business decision of
a company, unless you want to show a lack of understanding as to how
community-driven software development works.

good luck,

greg k-h