[systemd-devel] fsckd needs to go

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 8 01:46:33 PDT 2015

Reindl Harald [2015-04-08 10:32 +0200]:
> nobody needs to ability to cancel a fsck because hardly anybody has a
> insight if the moment doing so is horrible dangerous and givne that fsck
> don't run for fun why would you want to interrupt it and risk data loss?

You don't risk data loss by interrupting a routine check (that still
happens on ext[234] every so often).

But anyway, I don't mind much dropping the cancel ability, but we do
want a proper progress report. fsck can take an effing long time with
large spinning rust, and without progress report users will just
consider the boot hanging/broken and switch off the machine. That's a
lot riskier :-)

Martin