[systemd-devel] drop-ins and watchdogs question

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 8 11:01:47 PDT 2015

On Sat, 21.03.15 13:07, Alison Chaiken (alison at she-devel.com) wrote:

Heya,

> and type 'systemctl daemon-reexec'.   As expected, 'sudo lsof
> /dev/watchdog' shows no one is holding file open.   However, the
> system does not reboot!    I'm not sure if this is because of the way
> that the softdog works, or because I haven't overridden the property
> properly.    I can see that if I just removed the
> /run/systemd/system.conf file, that RuntimeWatchdogSec should be
> unchanged upon daemon-reexec, but I would think that manually
> overriding it by setting it to zero should have the intended result
> here.   Which leads to the questions:

When we close the device we turn off the watchdog in the kernel, to
avoid that the system reboots automatically shortly after. The "wdctl"
tool from util-linux should show that.

> -- Is there a way to get systemd to dump what values it's using for
> the variables in system.conf?   'systemctl show-environment' doesn't
> do it.

systemctl show -a.

> -- In a realistic situation, how would drop-in configuration files in
> /run/systemd be created?   I guess a script in the initrd could do it.
>    Presumably configuration of a feature like a watchdog that is
> needed early in boot is better handled through
> /etc/systemd/system.conf.

What precisely are you trying to do?

Most of our configuration files in very recent versions support
drop-ins now.