[systemd-devel] heads-up: chasing journal(?) related regression in 219 causing boot hang/fail

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 11 02:38:16 PDT 2015

Hello Tobias,

Tobias Hunger [2015-04-11  2:17 +0200]:
> did you make any progress with this bug? Apparently the same issue is
> blocking systemd-219 from getting into arch linux (
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44016 ), so this seems to be a
> wide-spread issue. Is anyone taking a serious look into this issue?

Sorry, no, I was pretty busy with making systemd work good enough
for the impending Debian and Ubuntu releases. A few weeks ago I mostly
wanted to see whether this was specific to Debian/Ubuntu somehow, and
I couldn't reproduce it in a VM with Fedora 21 plus dbus and systemd
from rawhide. But in the meantime we got plenty of confirmations that
it affects Fedora and now Arch, so I don't believe this is actually
related to d-bus or something such.

As for the actual lockup, I'm afraid I don't understand at all
what is happening (I'm anot familiar at all with how journald
interacts with other services and D-Bus/logind).

So from my POV my best recommendation would be to revert commit
13790add4 upstream for now until this gets understood and fixed
properly, especially if/when version 220 should be released. Breaking
booting is much worse than not being able to restart journald.

Martin