[systemd-devel] install a fedora container

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 22 10:39:24 PDT 2015

On Wed, 22.04.15 19:26, arnaud gaboury (arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com) wrote:

> I am little confused how to install Fedora on a container on my Archlinux box.
>
> Here is my setup : a whole ssd for Fedora server. Btrfs with 3
> subvolumes for snapshots:
> /etc, /var, and /rootvol. No nested subvolumes.
>
> This ssd will then be mounted on /var/lib/container/MyContainer.
>
> Shall i install first Fedora server on the SSD then mount it in
> /var/lib/container and boot with systemd-nspawn ? Or is there another
> solution?

The usualy way how I installed a Fedora container so far, was via "yum
--installroot". But that of course only works if you have yum around,
which might be unavailable on ArchLinux.

Another option is to use the upstream cloud image. Recent
systemd-nspawn versions can boot that directly if you stick that in
/var/lib/machines and uncompress it. The image is here:

http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/fedora/linux/releases/21/Cloud/Images/x86_64/Fedora-Cloud-Base-20141203-21.x86_64.raw.xz

In systemd git you can use "machinectl pull-raw" directly on this URL
which will do this all automatically for you.