[systemd-devel] users and per user limits (tmpfs)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 28 03:06:40 PDT 2015

On Tue, 28.04.15 12:03, MichaƂ Zegan (webczat_200 at poczta.onet.pl) wrote:

> (sorry, I haven't sent a reply to the list)
> What about namespacing and mounting tmpfs per user? You can specify a
> filesystem size when mounting tmpfs can't you?

Well, you can set this up with some packages for individual systems,
but this cannot work for general purpose systems since X11 uses /tmp
for placing its communication sockets. Moreover, when this is set up
the mount propagation from the user's namespace to the rest of system
must be turned off for the root directory, and this will break general
assumptions around mounting things through tools like "su" or "sudo"
then, as those mounts will not propagate to the rest of the system
either...