[systemd-devel] users and per user limits (tmpfs)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 28 03:38:05 PDT 2015

On Tue, 28.04.15 12:11, MichaƂ Zegan (webczat_200 at poczta.onet.pl) wrote:

> What if I will just make the / and similar mounts shared?

You have to turn off mount propagation for /tmp, so that the per-user
/tmp instance is not propagated to the rest of the system.

But after turning this off you cannot turn it on anymore, that's how
the kernel works. Which means if thereafter you try to mount something
over /mnt, then this will also not propagate to the rest of the sytem.

> Well, I am
> not entirely sure about this whole terminology, not sure if I
> understand it. About x11, in case of gnome I think a second x server
> is spawned to service a request in context of a session (gnome 3.16)
> so not sure if it would be a problem. Anyway something like on-disk
> tmpfs with quotas may be safer/maybe easier to understand.

The X11 socket is used for communication between users, hence
poly-instantiated /tmp will break some of X11 uses.