[systemd-devel] sd-bus vs gdbus on dbus-daemon

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 29 07:20:39 PDT 2015

B1;3802;0cOn Wed, 29.04.15 16:08, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog (umut at tezduyar.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We [1] have noticed that there could be up to %50 performance gain on
> using sd-bus over gdbus on dbus-daemon. For this reason, we have high
> interest in using sd-bus. What are the plans in terms of making sd-bus
> API public?

Initially we wanted to wait for kdbus to be merged before declaring
sd-bus stable, given that kdbus changes might make us want to change
api again. Given the lkml peanut gallery fuckery this will probably
not happen this kernel cycle though. We discussed this today and hence
decided to declare sd-bus stable ignoring kdbus' status, which means
we intend to export the API as public in v221.

Now, if you ask when we'll do a v221 release: that's hard to say. I am
busy stabilizing v220, and while I finally processes most of the
unprocessed mails and am happy with the fdo bz state too, i still need
to fix a couple of things and then go trough all commits since v219
before i can release this. I'll be travelling next week (CoreOS fest),
hence v220 is probably going to take three weeks or so still.

And then after that comes v221... While our intentions are to do quick
release cycles of just 2-3 weeks, we failed miserabily in the current
cycle, and I doubt that'll work much better then...