[systemd-devel] Query regarding "EnvironmentFile"

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 12:44:53 PST 2015

> I see no reason why systemd should be involved with this. Just make
> etcd a proper daemon, and read its config data directly, rather then
> serializing it into the command line.

In sys v initscript it started out as variable options, placed on top
for administrator ease of changeability then due the share size and
complexity of the sys v initscript it evolved it into environment files
which led to file location based fragmentation between distribution (
and is now hindering share-ability of type unit files between
distributions ) but never through all those decades did someone go and
fix the underlying problem which is as you point out lack of daemon
reading configuration file.

The same pattern has started to re-emerge in a form of an workaround in
systemd by using drop-ins containing [Service] Environment= or
EnviromentFile=, which I suspect they are doing based on his description
either themselves or they have administrators do that to overwrite those
entry's since they generate that metadata file ( which is more likely )

JBG