[systemd-devel] slow systemd-networkd DHCP client on wlan0 with systemd v217

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Feb 3 08:27:37 PST 2015

On Tue, 03.02.15 18:20, Patrik Flykt (Patrik.Flykt at linux.intel.com) wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-02-03 at 11:46 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Mon, 02.02.15 23:12, Charles Devereaux (systemd at guylhem.net) wrote:
> >
> > > Another problem with systemd-networkd is that the lease is not renewed
> > > after sleep.
> > >
> > > This is a basic feature, a laptop is frequently physicially moved, which
> > > means another DHCP lease should be acquired, but I don't see how to
> > > do that.
> >
> > Hmm, I figure all DHCP leases should be refreshed when we come back
> > from suspend. Hooking that up should be pretty easy. Added to the TODO
> > list.
> >
> > That said, isn't the link beat lost anyway during suspend, and thus we
> > should refresh automatically, anyway?
> >
> > Either way refreshing on resume can't hurt...
>
> Is the resume event detected somehow in systemd?

The kernel unfortunately provides no API for this right now. However,
if logind is the one suspending the machine, then it sends out a
PrepareForSleep() signal before doing so. systemd-resolved already
hooks into that:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/resolve/resolved-bus.c#n684

Tom mentioned he's already looking into adding similar code to
networkd to handle this properly.