[systemd-devel] Whitespace in /etc/crypttab

John Lane systemd at jelmail.com
Thu Feb 12 01:49:34 PST 2015

Good morning,

This just something I noticed recently: It doesn't seem to be possble to
use whitespace in /etc/cryptab, for example in partition labels.

Contrast with the similar /etc/fstab file which supports octal escape
(\040).

I see
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=84cc2abf3472b>[1] that
"PARTLABEL=" is supported in /etc/cryptab although it isn't
documented[2]
<http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/crypttab.html>.

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=84cc2abf3472b
[2] http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/crypttab.html

Take a label "A B". This would have device symlink like

/dev/disk/by-partlabel/A\x20B

where "A\x20B" is the output of "systemd-escape A B"

Placing an entry in /etc/crypttab like

cryptvol PARTLABEL=A\040B none

results in device units like

dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-A\x5cx5c040B

I also tried "A\x20B" I get "dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-A\x5cx5cx20B"

GPT supports whitespace in partition labels. Is it possible to use
whitespace in PARTLABEL in /etc/crypttab?