[systemd-devel] user units and system units behavior

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 12:33:51 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:20 PM, Alison Chaiken <alison at she-devel.com>
wrote:

> Ivan writes:
> > So, I suppose, your `systemd --user` just fails to start somewhy, and
> > you are getting that cryptic error message because systemctl can't find
> > systemd on either of the buses.
>
> Ah, after restarting the Qemu, I see in the journal:
>
> Feb 13 22:09:06 fedora21.exerciseforthereader.org systemd[1900]:
> Trying to run as user instance, but $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not set.

That's weird.

Normally this envvar is set by pam_systemd, so take a look at
/etc/pam.d/systemd-user and see if it calls the pam_systemd module, either
directly or via "include"/"substack"...

(I don't know exactly how Fedora's PAM configuration looks like, but I
think 'systemd-user' is supposed to include either 'system-auth' or
'system-login'.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>