[systemd-devel] sysv-generator: doesn't handle /etc/insserv/overrides or /etc/chkconfig.d

Christian Seiler christian at iwakd.de
Mon Feb 16 03:32:43 PST 2015

resending, didn't go to list the first time (sorry for the duplicate)

Am 16.02.2015 um 12:00 schrieb "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson":
>> In the simplest case, the init script is trivial and you just create a
>> simple native service and are better off anyway. But most of the time,
>> init scripts where you want to override headers are provided by third
>> parties, and do a lot of involved things, and as an administrator you
>> don't want to port the old init script yourself, you just want to call
>> the original one and be done with it. (And even worse, some
>> third-party init scripts don't even come with LSB headers, even in
>> 2015.)
>
> That's a matter of perception we prefer migrating the legacy sysv
> initscript on these parts to take advantage of administrator features
> systemd provides.

Sure, in an ideal world. But as I said in my initial mail, if you have
crappy scripts provided by third-parties, this is not always an option.
And I don't think init scripts are going to fully disappear in the next
10 years, it's not realistic - especially if you look at a lot of
third-party scripts, where the authors appear to have had no clue about
what they were doing.

Christian