[systemd-devel] systemd-vconsole-setup rendered ineffective thanks to VT framebuffer switch

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Thu Feb 19 12:24:08 PST 2015

During openQA runs, openSUSE observed that the on-screen font was
different lately. I can locally reproduce the problem, which is,
generally speaking:

default for that mode.
systemd-vconsole-setup or part thereof needs to be rerun
to reload the desired font settings.

I specifically observe this during boot. I do not have inteldrmfb.ko in
the initramfs, so the console remains in VGA text mode until the
initramfs has completed. In the real root then, systemd-vconsole-setup
is started, as is udevd, which will finally load inteldrmfb.ko and
switch the console to FB, reverting the font settings.

So, ordering vconsole-setup after udevd might workaround the issue, but
it certainly is an unclean approach that none of us will love. It also
does not deal with the case that the framebuffer module is loaded way
later (e.g. manually).

Thoughts on how to solve this? Processing some udev rules as a result of
FB drivers loading come to mind, but I wonder if that's the right
approach..