[systemd-devel] heads-up: chasing journal(?) related regression in 219 causing boot hang/fail

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 20 06:36:36 PST 2015

Hello all,

Since we updated to 219 in Ubuntu, several people reported boot
failures. Booting hangs a long time after starting D-Bus, in the
journal you get a lot of error messages like

   systemd[1]: Failed to register match for Disconnected message: Connection timed out
   systemd-logind[749]: Failed to fully start up daemon: Connection timed out
   dbus[800]: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1': timed out

polkitd isn't running. This causes lots of jobs (logind, NetworkManager, avahi,
etc.) to get stuck in an eternal retry loop.

Unfortunately reproducing this is a real nuisance, classic heisenbug.
I'm now able to trigger it (sometimes) in a VM, but I still haven't
found a reliable recipe for reproducing it, so that bisecting just
takes ages.

I'm keeping debug log, notes, and progress in
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1423811 FTR. This is mostly a heads-up for
other distros in case they also get reports like this, to shortcut the
debugging exercise (I already wasted 7 hours on this, and I'm not even
close to the solution). Quite surprisingly it's somewhere in journald.
Running 218 with journald from 219 causes the hang, 219 with journald
from 218 is fine.

Martin