[systemd-devel] feature request: dlopen

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Mon Feb 23 02:08:40 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 02:08:26AM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  the problem, zbigniew, is that the intended use of this "silent noop"
> feature - to make it *possible* to have an alternative PID1 - *hasn't
> happened*.  any upstream software developer who has added in support
> for systemd has done so by *ripping out* the former alternative code.
> not a single upstream system that i've seen has done *any* kind of
> run-time detection *at all*.  it's all compile-time.

  Luke, please be careful with quantificators like ”any upstream developer”.
I invite you to check sd_notify() and/or socket activation that I did* in
various projects: rrd_cached, iscsid, transmissionbt, owfs, uptimed, tor.
  In each case there is no degradation when systemd is not used, previous
way of doing things is preserved.  Enhancement patches (Type=notify, watchdog)
are NOOP when systemd is not used.  Some of the above project don't even
lin with libsystemd.

* in case of Tor and transsmission I've either inspired the change or expanded
  it over original patches; for others I prepared a patch which was merged
  by upstream
--
Tomasz Torcz              ,,If you try to upissue this patchset I shall be seeking
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl   an IP-routable hand grenade.'' -- Andrew Morton (LKML)