[systemd-devel] systemd: Program terminated with signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 5 08:57:14 PST 2015

On Tue, 30.12.14 16:51, Paul Menzel (paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net) wrote:

> Dear systemd folks,
>

> using Debian Sid/unstable with systemd 215-8, I still have problems that
> there are time-outs between systemd and D-Bus, even with the current
> D-Bus 1.8.12 [1]. Experiencing this again, where
> `systemd-logind.service` was not started, I was able to log in on tty1
> but in the end I was unable to run any `sudo systemctl` commands as they
> timed out. I also was unable to reboot or halt the system.
>
> Somewhere in that situation systemd also crashed with an arithmetic
> exception; logged as `Caught <FPE>` in `/var/log/syslog`.
>
> I created ticket #87349 in the Freedesktop.org Bugzilla bug tracker [2].
> The backtrace is pasted in the original upstream bug report and in this
> message at the end.

Is there any known, easy way to reproduce the issue?

Is it possible that something in your boot causes the systemd
configuration to be reloaded?

I now made some changes to git
(9c3349e23b14db27e7ba45f82cf647899c563ea9) that add an explicit
assert() around the line where the devision by zero happens. Most
likely the counting of running jobs got confused, hence I reworked
that code too. Not sure if it fixes the issue, but I can't test this,
since I have no idea how to trigger it...

Anyway, would be good if you could check current git, to see if things
are better for you...