[systemd-devel] Fwd: [systemd-commits] Makefile.am src/bus-proxyd units/.gitignore units/systemd-bus-proxyd.service.m4.in units/systemd-bus-proxyd at .service.m4.in units/systemd-bus-proxyd.socket units/user

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut at tezduyar.com
Thu Jan 22 01:06:07 PST 2015

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 4:51 PM, David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog
> <umut at tezduyar.com> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Have you done any experiment in terms of the number of connections can
>> be made on 32 bit arch with bus proxy being multi-threaded instead of
>> multi-processed?
>
> I don't think it makes much of a difference. I'm about to push a patch
> to share the policy, which will reduce memory consumption slightly.
> But apart from that, I don't think it matters much.

I think in theory it should matter. Physical address extension extends
the 4 gb address space. When the proxy is per process, physical memory
and the allowed number of processes is the limit of how many clients
can be connected to dbus. On the other hand, when proxy is per thread,
the 32 bit address space is the limit.

Anyways, I have checked the overhead of new connection when proxy is
per thread and it is negligible enough that you can have thousands of
connection.

Thanks,
Umut