[systemd-devel] Automatic unmount of inactive automounted dir? (laptop purposes)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 22 18:07:04 PST 2015

On Thu, 22.01.15 14:15, Lurid (lurid at dmnc.net) wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> following this conversation:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/systemd-devel@lists.freedesktop.org/msg06001.html
> I would like to ask about the progress in this feature. I'm interested in
> because I'm using my laptop with Archlinux on different networks and each
> network has different mount points. I'm not powering off my laptop, just
> suspending. Nowadays I have to manually unmount dirs and if I forgot to do
> that before putting laptop to sleep, I have to do umount -lf in case when
> I'm back in the office and want to remount asap.
>
> Regarding to the mentioned (next) conversation: "We currently don't do
> expiration, since this wasn't intended as a full
>
> autofs implementation, but just a way to parallelize and delay load
>
> things at boot." I'm considering using autofs even systemd.automount seems
> to be better solution without any more layer on my system.

Yeah, it's still on the TODO list. The autofs protocol for doing this
is horrid, but Kay managed to figure out how it works, a terse
description for it is in the TODO list, but so far nobody actually sat
down and wrote the code for it. Doing this probably involved adding
some threads in PID 1, due to blocking ioctls, which is nasty, but I
guess OK, but makes this not the sexiest thing to hack on...

Anyway, would be happy to take a patch for this!