[systemd-devel] systemd-vconsole-setup fails very slowly

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 22 18:13:29 PST 2015

On Wed, 21.01.15 19:15, Andy Lutomirski (luto at amacapital.net) wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> When running virtme (a simple vm gadget) on Fedora 21, the slowest
> part of bootup by far appears to be systemd-vconsole-setup:
>
> # time /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-vconsole-setup
> putfont: PIO_FONT trying ...
> setfont: putfont: 512,8x16:  failed: -1
> putfont: PIO_FONT: Invalid argument
> /usr/bin/setfont failed with error code 71.

setfont is not part of systemd, we just invoke it. If that fails, this
is a problem somewhere between the VM, the kernel and console-tools.

My uneducated guess is that your virtual machine boots up with a
non-graphical console, and the tool thus tries to upload the fonts
into the good old VGA hw text mode glyph tables, and qemu is very slow
at that... Or something like that.

But maybe not... Consider checking if you have a graphical
framebuffer, or really just the ancient VGA text mode console...