[systemd-devel] service.d/.conf files and multi-valued options

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Fri Jan 23 06:20:37 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 03:12:11PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > >Actually, it kinda says it in the specific options. From the
> > >explanation of ExecStart=:
> > >
> > >"...If the empty string is assigned to this option, the list of
> > >commands to start is reset, prior assignments of this option will have
> > >no effect..."
> >
> > Oh, I didn't see that while skimming the man page. Still, I think a
> > tutorial manpage as I described (different ways to override distro
> > configuration) would be a good idea. Would you accept a patch for
> > something like that? If so, what should the man page be called?
>
> Sure, we can always use more man pages! Maybe simply call it
> "systemd.turorial" or so, which could then get sections explainaining
> how to best write new unit files, how to override/extend vendor unit
> files, and so on.
I think it might be better to stick it into systemd.unit. There's really
no reason not to, and this way it'll have more exposure. People are more
likely to miss a separate page.

I think it would be great to have an Examples section in systemd.{unit,
service,socket,path,...} giving a semi-realistic example of a unit that
can serve as a template. For systemd.socket there should be two: an
Accept=yes and Accept=no.

Zbyszek